Presidents Letter June 2018
Summertime is here and if I am honest I cannot believe that it is already June of 2018! There are so many exciting things to share with the Charlotte NACE community this month, so what are we waiting for!
First and foremost, I have to give a huge shout out to our Programs team who once again produced an incredible education program in May. Monique Studak, national speaker and Certified Sommelier, led our members and guest through an evening filled with expertly prepared food and varietals of sparkling wine at the Charlotte Convention Center on Monday, May 21st. The delightful program featured a brief education of all things sparkling wine intermingled with a four-course plated meal paired with different types of bubbles. The take way for industry professionals is that offering sparkling wine as an option for menus will generate revenue and provide your clients with a nontraditional wine pairing experience at their event. With so many options for clients to choose from when they are making decisions about what wine to serve, it is our job as industry professionals to be able to speak knowledgably about sparkling wine and how to pair it with a meal. Those attending our May meeting had a brief introduction to what is possible and now have a resource for more information for their business.
If the sparkling wine tasting was the draw for the meeting, then the gorgeous ambience the vendor team created for the event provided the WOW. We would like to thank the following vendors for their generous sponsorship for the event. The Charlotte Convention Center’s food and beverage team crafted a delicious menu and provided excellent service throughout the night. Metallic infused linens were provided by Party Time Rentals. Spark by Design brought their décor game and seamlessly connected all of the event spaces under one bubble inspired theme. Artisan Ice Sculptures carved a four foot tall champagne bottle as a beautiful centerpiece in the center of the room. PSAV provided the AV for our national speaker. And last but never least, Shutterbooth showcased their new rose gold sequin backdrop as the photo booth entertainment for cocktail hour. Our meetings would not be possible without the continued commitment and creativity of our Programs team and our sponsors!
One of my favorite things about June is that for the last 4 years our chapter has been collaborating with the Charlotte ILEA chapter for a joint meeting of all of Charlotte’s Industry Professionals. This year the program teams from both chapters have been working tirelessly on a new concept. The joint meeting this year will be the inaugural NACE/ILEA Charity Tournament being held at the Grady Cole Center on June, 11th. This charity tournament will benefit the Hospitality House of Charlotte and will feature a friendly game of dodgeball. Your ticket price includes a donation to Hospitality House as well as an event t-shirt and a networking reception following the game. Now if dodgeball is not your jam do not fret! You can choose to participate or not when you register for the event! The doors will open at 3:30 and the tournament will start at 4:00pm – we would love to see you there on the court or in the stands supporting the teams! Everyone will celebrate directly following the tournament at a reception until 6:30pm.
For more information please check out
Cristin Corder Lee, CPCE
President 2018 - 2019
On April 17, our newly organized NACE Student Chapter received official recognition and sponsorship from Johnson & Wales University through a voting and approval process by the Student Government Association. Student chapter members, advisor, Charlotte chapter president, chapter liaison to the professional chapter were present to speak on NACE, the Student Chapter, and its importance for students to consider for vote and approval. The Student Chapter has now submitted their petition to NACE National and awaits their approval to officially charter as the Johnson & Wales University Charlotte Student Chapter of National Association for Catering and Events. Pictured here from left to right: Student Chapter Chair Ted Watkins, University Advisor Prof. Kimberly Rosenbaum, Historian Shannon West, President Molly Svizeny, VP Amber Williams, Student Member Jordan Rogers, Treasurer Lauren Urbanowicz, Secretary Tyler Chaffin, and Charlotte Chapter President Cristin Lee.
POSITION TITLE: CLUB:
REPORTS TO: DIRECT REPORTS:
Director of Event Planning
Charlotte Country Club
Total of 4 (three Event Planners and one Director of Youth Activities)
Platinum Clubs of The World.
Charlotte Country Club is recognized as one of the Top 10 Country Clubs in the
nation through Platinum Clubs of America and one of the Top 50 Golf & Country Clubs in the world through
Founded in 1910, the club is Charlotte’s oldest and most traditional. The location is four miles from downtown
Charlotte. The historic clubhouse’s main floor is used exclusively for events, featuring a Ballroom and 7
additional private function rooms, hosting member and member-sponsored events of up to 500 people.
The club has been honored to host three USGA National Championships and is pleased to have been selected to
host the 2018 Mid-Amateur Championship.
POSITION SUMMARY: Charlotte Country Club is seeking an experienced individual to lead its event
planning team. Event types include social, business, and club holiday events, weddings, galas, sporting events,
committee meetings, golf outings (non-golf components), swim meets, and youth activities. With a department
consisting of 5 employees, the event planning team provides unparalleled levels of personal service to its
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will possess exceptionally refined organizational, communication, and leadership skills. Five years of experience in a hospitality event planning leadership role is required. Working knowledge and experience with Northstar is a plus. General physical requirements: Ability to walk, sit or stand for long periods of time, climb stairs, lift up to 35 lbs. Must be available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
Candidates interested in applying for this position are required to complete an online application at
Cover letter, resume, and salary history should be submitted via email to
Charlotte Country Club
Assistant Manager (Banquets)
Charlotte Country Club was founded in 1910 and is located four miles east of uptown Charlotte, in the historic Plaza-Midwood neighborhood. Charlotte Country Club is known as a Top-10 private club in the US. The club was also recognized as a Top-50 Platinum Club of the World by the Club Leaders Forum.
Our historic 68,000 square foot Clubhouse was masterfully restored in 2009. To service our membership’s dining needs, the Club has four distinct a la carte dining areas and multiple cocktail spaces that enjoy stunning views of the 18-hole Donald Ross golf course. Banquet facilities include a grand Ballroom which accommodates up to 250 guests for a memorable affair and a multitude of banquet spaces well-equipped to host parties from 10-150 in varying capacities. In 2015, the Club added an immaculate Event Lawn space which overlooks the 18th green and its popularity and demand grows with each year.
Charlotte Country Club is seeking an Assistant Manager who will specialize in the banquet operation oversight, with an emphasis to provide personalized, unparalleled service to members and guests alike. The successful candidate will train, mentor, and lead our service team and maintain the Club’s reach to be an employer of choice. This Assistant Manager will participate in weekly F&B meetings and follow through with communication to ensure that all Club events are flawlessly executed. This position is ideal for a candidate who aspires to be a future Clubhouse Manager, Assistant General Manager, and ultimately a GM/COO.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Banquet Operations -
- Oversees banquet operations and leads a team of supervisors and staff to the successful execution of the Club’s banquet events on a daily basis
- Operates as the “point person” for all operational inquiries and ideas as it pertains to banquets; Insists on prioritizing member experience in decision making
- Develops service standards in the scope of banquet events, and actively mentors and supports supervisors and staff members
- Leads by example with professional presence, communication, coordination, preparation, and enthusiasm
- Improves execution of future events by communicating feedback
Administrative & Team Contributions -
- Planning, implementing and maintaining of processes that will enhance the services, procedures, team dynamic, and overall member satisfaction
- Daily commitments to create a continuous teaching environment that focuses on staff timeliness, productivity, proper service, and other standards at CCC
- Assists Assistant Managers with developing, implementing, enforcement, and evaluation of the service training program on a daily and weekly basis
- Assumes an active role in the hiring, training, coaching, and disciplining of the service staff
- Completes regular closing shifts and ensures the overall safety and preservation of the Club on a daily basis
- Achieves budget goals through personal contributions as well as strong and competent departmental leadership
- Monitors inventory for all service items including supplies, china, silver, and glassware
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four year college or university preferred
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the Hospitality industry at a highly respected private club or “four-star” hotel/resort, with a strong track record of career progression and increased management scope
- Must be honest, respectful, dedicated, ethical, caring, with a positive attitude
- Must have excellent time-management skills, be detail-oriented, and have strong follow through skills
- Must possess a proven track record of leading other talented individuals to successfully providing top level, personalized service to members and guests
- Must possess exceptional communication, interpersonal, and member service skills
- Must be able to handle a fast-paced, high-end, sophisticated environment
- OSHA Requirements: Ability to lift, push upwards of 35 pounds regularly; ability to stand for extended periods of time; ability to tolerate all seasonal weather conditions with indoor and outdoor activity
Salary commensurate with experience; Benefits package includes health, vision, dental insurance, 401(k), vacation, and professional association membership.
Charlotte Country Club was proud to be named one of the top places to work in North Carolina by Business NC and Society for Human Resource Management!
Send Résumé to:
Amanda Day, CCM
visit Here is the link to buy shirts
use password nace2018 to enter the site
select your shirt, style, size
check out using code naceclt for comped shipping
All shirts will be distributed at the Members Only Mixer on July 16th.
Quail Hollow Club Job Description
Event and Banquet Coordinator
Summary of Position:
Oversee all administrative processes for the department and assists in planning, directing, coordinating, promoting and managing the club’s social activities. Position will work with Event Planner and team to ensure that all member and guests expectations are exceeded to enhance their overall enjoyment of the club.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Eager to learn and be a team player who takes pride in themselves and their job performance
- A hands on approach is essential
- Maintains a positive work attitude and highly organized self-starter
- Assists in arranging events for the club’s dining facilities for private banquets, business and social meetings and other member-related activities
- Supports Event Planner in keeping accurate Banquet Event Orders for each event
- Assists in arranging all event needs, including but not limited to decorations, flowers, linen, rental equipment, staging, entertainment, menu cards, and audio-visual needs for private events, club events, or special dining room requests
- Assists in planning, promoting and generating enthusiasm and interest for the club’s diverse social programs
- Present to oversee the greeting and serving of the guests for both private and club events
- Contributes to revenue growth opportunities and ensures timely, accurate invoice processing, banquet billing and arranges for prompt payment for all events
- Serves as liaison between the kitchen, service staff and management
- Prepares all materials pertaining to and attends weekly banquet meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A minimum of one year of experience of assisting with event planning is preferred and general knowledge of the private club industry’s food and beverage operations is preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Jonas Club Management Software is preferred
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) are necessary
- Must be very detail-oriented
- Confident at speaking with members on a daily basis
- Must be flexible to accommodate irregular or extended hours and duties
- Must be able to climb stairs
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds
- Constantly walks, stands, reaches, bends, sits, carries and stoops
Background check and drug test are required. We are a drug free workplace.
Creative Events Charlotte is seeking two new 'creatives' to add to our TEAM !
If you are Detail orientated, creative & willing to learn... give us a call .